Pages

Counter

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Frenulum? The week in review...July 7th thru July 15th, 2010

I had no idea what a frenulum was a few months ago...little did I know that a tiny piece of skin called a frenulum had been making my life an actual living hell for the last three months. The reason why my breastfeeding attempts were so painful I'd scream, were all caused by William's short frenulum, or tongue-tie. Lovely. Blistered nipples for months on end, bleeding, skin peeling off...in so much pain I've not worn clothes in three months, all caused by a frenulum.


How did the NICU miss it? How did the lactation consultants at the NICU miss it? How did his THREE pediatrician miss it? It was a consultant at my La Leche League meeting who found it. I had to see a ENT for it and sure enough, his frenulum (or piece of skin that attaches the tongue to the bottom of the mouth) was too short, prohibiting him from properly using his tongue to get the milk out, thus stretching my nipple out to a very unnatural shape and causing probably us both great discomfort. He was unable to draw out enough milk, so he worked too hard, causing him to burn calories and fall asleep. And me, well...pain.

The ENT had the frenulum clipped right in his office. He used a topical numbing cream and a minute later, he was done, and William seemed just fine....some blood, but he seemed to be in no discomfort. I didn't notice ANY change in my pain until five days later, as it took five days for the blisters to heal, but each day got better. Now, breastfeeding doesn't hurt at all, and I can resume wearing clothes!


For now we're concentrating on his weight, and him gaining more of it.We tried a high calorie milk based formula, knowing it may not agree with him, and it indeed, did not. I've never heard a carbon based life form fart so much in my life. We both went two nights in a row with no sleep. He's back on soy, and breast milk and he'll see the Dr next week.

He now has this huge bald spot on the back of his head, and his hair seems to be turning a soft reddish-blond, his eyes are still blue-gray. He can hold his head up much better now and is still sucking his thumb when he can't get to his paci.

My kid has a big-ass head!

No comments:

Post a Comment