Pages

Counter

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Shannon's "Thrown Together" Chicken Sheppard's Pot Pie




I had skin-on, bone in chicken parts laying around with nothing to do with them. I had only one breast, one wing, one leg and one thigh. Shannon Wallace suggested a pot pie but I had few of the necessary ingredients. Still though, it sounded good so I "threw" this together.

Ingredients:

Chicken pieces, 1 bulb of garlic, 1 large yellow onion, 1 cup of chicken stock, phillo dough, 1 stick of butter, 10 smallish yukon gold potatoes, sour cream, cheese and seasoning. (Mushrooms and carrots would be good but I had none.)

First, season beneath the skin and roast the chickens at 350 for 40 minutes. Also place 1 bulb of garlic in foil, cut off the top of the bulb, salt, pepper and add olive oil. Wrap in foil and roast with the chicken.

Let the chicken cool. Remove the skin and cut up the meat into bite sized pieces. (Freeze the bones to make stock later). In a large non-stick skillet, add olive oil and butter and slice one large yellow onion so you have many 'rings'. Sweat them on medium-low, takes about 40 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the chicken with the onion, add some of the roasted garlic. In a large pot boil the peeled potatoes in salted water. Boil until they are fork tender and then add to a large mixer. Add milk, but I was out of milk so I added broth, salt, pepper, sour cream and the rest of the roasted garlic. (Add some cheese if you have it).

In a small pot, make a gravy from any chicken drippings you have, or stock. Add some flour to form a gravy. Add the gravy to the chicken/onion mixture. Top with the potatoes. Top mashed potatoes and top with cheese. White cheese is best but all I had was yellow.

Top with the phillo dough (puff pastry works best but this is all I had). Trim the phillo so it fits snug over the deep dish. Cut slits into the dough and then brush butter. Add dish to a 350 oven for 10 minutes, or until the dough is browned.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You are too cute! I love the name of it!!! How did it turn out? Next time if you have leftover pieces or a rotisserie bird, just cut up the pieces and make your own cream of chicken soup, then use a frozen pie crust to make a simple yet yummy pot pie. I have my own simple recipe if you want it. Anyway, that looks super delish!

    ReplyDelete