Pages

Counter

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Cake!

Still working with fondant, all left over from his 2nd birthday cake. I baked a strawberry cake and homemade chocolate butter-cream frosting. I made up the recipe, two sticks of butter, 1/4 cup of shortening, and I have no idea how much unsweetened cocoa. Possibly 2/3's a cup. Also no clue how much powdered sugar and water, I kept adding until it was chocolaty, sweet and the right consistency.

I took 1/2 a bag of sweetened coconut and placed it in a freezer bag. I added two drops of dark blue food coloring and 1 drop of yellow. I sealed the bag and shook. Then I kneaded the coconut in the bag to make sure it was all incorporated until the coconut was a nice minty green like the color of Easter Basket grass.

I would have made fondant Easter Eggs if I had the time and energy but since I had real Easter Eggs handy I just used those. Once the cake was stacked and iced I nested the "grass" on top and carefully placed the eggs. Then I adhered the fondant flowers and one fondant Easter Bunny.




No comments:

Post a Comment